Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield
On behalf of KCS Developments Limited, Johnson Mowat (Planning and Development Consultants) are seeking to engage with the local community in relation to the future development proposals on land off Rowley Lane/Hermitage Park, Lepton (Local Plan Housing Allocation HS3).
KCS Developments Limited are a strategic land business with the approach of gaining “informed” outline consent and so will seek approval to all planning matters (layout, landscape, drainage design, ecology enhancement etc) save for house types and elevations (which would be the subject of a reserved matters application) to provide certainty to all parties involved in the planning process. KCS Developments Limited are not a developer who will likely take the site forward for construction.
The site is located to the south of Lepton and is located off Hermitage Park which in turn is located off Rowley Lane Lepton as shown on the aerial location plan:- Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - Location Plan (6 downloads)
The site is bounded to the immediate north by the residential area comprising of predominately detached dwellings along Rowley Lane and Hermitage Park. To the east the site adjoins woodland and to the south are open fields. To the west are detached residential properties along Woodsome Park. To the south east are open fields which are proposed for housing HS2 – Land Adjacent, Penistone Road/Woodsome Park, Lepton.
Kirklees Local Plan Status
The site was allocated for housing in the adopted Kirklees Local Plan (February 2019) as allocation HS3. The Plan was examined by an Independent Local Plan Inspector.
The principle of the residential development of the site is therefore considered acceptable and is identified as having a capacity of 312 dwellings (in the Local Plan). Extracts of the allocation text can be found here:- Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - HS3 Allocation Text (4 downloads)
As stated above the site is adjacent to allocation HS2 and the supporting Local Plan text does require work towards a joint masterplan between both allocations. Extracts of the allocation text for HS2 can be found here:- Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - HS2 Allocation Text (3 downloads)
An extract of the Local Plan Policies Map showing HS2 and HS3 can be viewed here:- Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - Allocation Plan (6 downloads)
The applicants of both HS2 and KCS Development Limited (HS3) are working together to produce a masterplan to guide future proposals. It is accepted that eventually the main vehicular access to HS2 and HS3 will come from a new roundabout off Penistone Road and that a secondary access via Hermitage Park is also accepted (please see the allocation text link above).
The draft Masterplan identifies parcels of land for built residential development and areas to be laid out as greenspace. The residential areas proposed are largely determined by slope and highway gradients, buffers to existing woodland, and longer distance views to protect heritage assets.
Both parties have worked together to produce the attached phasing plan:- Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - Phasing Plan (7 downloads) . The Phasing Plan shows two limited peripheral developments with the second phase of both allocations creating the comprehensive development.
The Masterplanning for HS3 is informed by the attached Opportunity and Constraints Plan which identifies key design constraints which any future layout will have to adhere to and can be found here:-
- Opportunities and Constraints Plan for HS2 and HS3 Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - Opps and Constraints Plan 1 (5 downloads)
- Opportunities and Constaints Plan Phase 1 of HS3 Housing Allocation HS3 at Lepton, Huddersfield - Opps and Constraints Plan 2 (3 downloads)
At this stage no further detailed design has been undertaken until public consultation discussions have been undertaken.
Anticipate Programme Period
It is anticipated that the development of sites HS2 and HS3 will come forward in phases over an approximate 6 year period, for further details see the Phasing Programme below:-
Follows initial discussions with Local Ward Councillors and GAIL (and initial high level discussions with the Planning Department), we are seeking comments on the allocation and opportuinities and constraints from residents and interest groups before we finalise detailed design proposals and submit a pre-application request to Kirklees Council. It is intended that following the pre-application meeting a detailed outline consent will be sought on Phase 1A with access from Hermitage Park.
Following this consultation focused meeting’s via Zoom with interested parties are likely to take place and will be confirmed at a later date.
The following technical reports are anticipated to be submitted alongside the Planning Application:-
- Transport Assessment – to consider traffic and transport impacts of the proposed development;
- Travel Plan – is a package of measures tailored to the needs of individual developments, aimed at promoting greener, cleaner travel choices and reducing the reliance on the car. It involves the development of a set of mechanisms, initiatives and targets that together can enable a development to reduce the impact of travel and transport on the environment, whilst also achieving a number of other benefits for residents.
- Phase 1 Geoenvironmental Report – considers existing ground conditions and its implications for development;
- Flood Risk Assessment and Drainage Strategy – considers existing flooding and drainage implications of the development;
- Ecological Reports – considers existing ecology on site and implications for future development;
- Archaeological Reports – considers the potential for archaeological deposits on the development site;
- Heritage Statement – considers an assessment of the impact on the historic environment;
- Air Quality Impact Assessments – considers existing, during construction, operational and mitigation air quality measures associated with a development;
- Tree Survey and Aboricultural Method Statement – considers existing trees and hedges on site including their status; and
- Health Impact Assessment – considers the impacts of the development on health.
The documents above will be posted on the website when available.
Both KCS Developments Limited and ourselves are seeking comment from residents and interest groups on the information provided above and comments can be made below.